Re: [opensuse-project] Re: openSUSE Members retirement
On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 06:56:25AM +0100, Michal Hrusecky wrote:

I would have to agree - leave the e-mail forwarder in place, and the
IRC cloak (though I'm with Christian - I've been waiting for several
years for my IRC cloak to be set up, but I'm not on IRC that much
anyways, so that bothers me a lot less). Breaking an e-mail address
that people might use just because they don't care to vote seems
excessive.

It is not because they don't care to vote, it is because we haven't
seen any activity from them and they did not react to warnings that
they will loose it. AFAIK domain registrators does it in similar
manner. They send you few email-s and if you don't react, you loose
the e-mail. We can send several mails as well.

I'm afraid you miss an important point: completely breaking an address
that might appear on many places (forums, mailing list archives, git
repositories, package changelogs, ...) is going to hit not only those
inactive members (You want to "punish" them? No problem with that.) but
potentially everyone else as well (and I do have problem with that).
I often find an e-mail address at a few year old commit or a changelog
entry and need to contact the author. So I agree that what you proposed
would in fact discourage members from actively using the address unless
they believe they are going to be active members forever (which,
honestly, would mean they are not very realistic].

For domain registrators and commercial e-mail services, this kind of
behaviour can be understood. But with opensuse.org, few hundreds of
addresses and (IMHO) no extensive traffic? I agree that it's far from
necessary.

How about a compromise? Some MUA implement a feature that they can
reject an e-mail for certain account but send a message like "user ...
is no longer active, please use address ... instead" to the sender.
And even if they don't, it can be trivially implemented in procmail or
similar. I believe this would allow you to make the point but would
still allow others to contact those "retired members" (as long as the
other address works but that's SEP).

Michal Kubeček