Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Board Face-to-Face Meeting 2016 Minutes - Part 1/3
Hi,

On 03/20/2016 02:29 PM, Christian Boltz wrote:
Am Sonntag, 20. März 2016, 13:31:18 CET schrieb Richard Brown:
We discussed the shape of how we'd like to see the wiki
We all agreed want to see a big tidy up. Many of the Portals have
little benefit and serve little purpose. We want to see the namespaces
removed/flattened to help the search
Please don't confuse the search with the wiki layout ;-)
Probably "navigation" is a better word in this context?
Software search would continue as it is...but we considered some
problems with that
The current implementation of One-Click installs is often dangerous.
Because they add all the repos setup in the OBS repo you often end up
with crazy things like Factory:ARM repos being added on systems where
they are not relevant
Furthermore, making it very easy to install packages from
'non-official' repos dramatically reduces the motivation and impetus
for developers to put their packages in the Distribution
Having packages in the Distribution though is the best way to ensure
your package works, is tested, and is integrated
So we would like to see One Click only pulling from the official
repos If Packages are not in the official repos, we would like the
software search to put users in touch with devel project maintainers
to encourage the packages be added to the distributions
I understand the goal, but this sounds like it would make things harder
for users. Even if a user can encourage a package maintainer to submit a
package to the distribution, it can (for Leap) take months until that
package is officially available as part of the distribution.

That completely breaks the idea of being user-friendly ;-)
People who are searching for a package need it *now*, not after a long
fight ;-) with the maintainer. I'd guess most of them don't really care
if the package comes from the official repo or from home:donttrustme ;-)

Counter-proposal: get download statistics (for both one click install
and "normal" repo usage) and contact the maintainers of the most popular
packages to get those packages added to the distribution.

It might also be a good idea to make the download statistics of each
package visible on build.o.o.
[Intro: I'm opensuse user since ~ one month, used debian and linux mint
before but have longer experience with them.]

This is also a big topic for ubuntu (called PPAs there) and in general
everyone recommends not to use PPAs. Third party sources provide current
software, which is not as good tested and stable as software that is
available in the official repositories. Thus these repos are only for
devs and testers. All others should not use them, this is also what
supporters (including me) advice users. There are often problems with
third party repos, which could be easily solved for experienced users,
but not for normal ones.
Additionally, the user hast to trust fully trust the maintainers of all
repositories I have activated. This is - at least for me - a big issue.
For this reason I yet hesitated to add more repos though I would like to
use some software only available there.
The packages in official repositories are all aligned, as opposed to
unofficial repos. Things can break in unofficial repos, but they should
never do so in official ones.

You say that users don't care where packages come from. Maybe some, but
not all. I, for example, do so.

I welcome improvements in this topic, having more software directly in
official (default) repositories!

Sebastian

--
python programming - mail server - photo - video - https://sebix.at