Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE 13.1 - Preparation for Evergreen
  • From: Ludwig Nussel <ludwig.nussel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2015 14:07:12 +0100
Michal Kubecek wrote:
On Monday 14 of December 2015 11:01:08 Bruno Friedmann wrote:
The fact that Leap is here, change the game a bit. Hopefully.

It definitely does. However, I'm not really sure if it means there will
be no need for Evergreen (or evergreen-like project) anymore. Actually,
I'm much less convinced about that than I was when Leap was first
announced. There are two reasons:

1. Looking at Leap 42.1, I'm afraid we gave up a bit too much to the
temptation to throw newest possible versions of some packages. In
particular, while I understand the reasons for kernel 4.1 and Plasma 5,
the former is the reason why I would rather wait with installing it on
my servers and the latter a reason why I'm not going to install it on
important desktops anytime soon.

2. While in theory, "Leap 42" is going to be supported for quite long,
in reality, there may be significant leaps between the point releases.
For someone reluctant to upgrade a live production machine, say, from
42.1 to 42.2 without testing everything thoroughly, this would actually
mean lifetime shorter than it used to be in the pre-Leap era. IMHO it's
too early to say how much of a concern this is going to be; I believe we
will be wiser once we see how 42.2 would turn out (if we are able to
stay as conservative as LTS release deserves).

Very valid concerns. Thanks for spelling them out! What to (not) put in
Leap 42.2 is something that needs to be seriously discussed. Please
don't just wait and see. Help shaping it so it fits it's target audience
well :-)

cu
Ludwig

--