Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE 13.1 - Preparation for Evergreen
  • From: Cornelius Schumacher <cschum@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2015 13:03:23 +0100
On Monday 14 December 2015 12:26:24 Wolfgang Rosenauer wrote:

Keeping repositories for 13.1 is something which would certainly be
nice. What I do not want to see is that OBS admins filing automated
repository delete requests for 13.1 because it's "not maintained"
anymore. But I think this is not too much asked?
For all the others I hope that maintainers make a reasonable choice
about 13.1 support.
I have no right at all to tell people what to do. The same way as others
do not have the right to tell me what to do.

I think this is the crucial point here. It doesn't look like there is a lot of
momentum right now to keep 13.1 alive as Evergreen beyond the announced date
of November of 2016, but this is still a year to go, and so it would be great,
if we can keep it working as good as we can at least until then. There are
still users who depend on it.

So I would strongly support what Wolfgang said above. Please don't
automatically delete repos for 13.1 or stop building for it, because you
assume it's not maintained anymore.

I understand that if it's an effort to keep building things for 13.1, it might
not be worth it, and that's something for maintainers to decide. Fortunately
the build service gives us the opportunity to easily build for many
distributions, and it gives users the choice of a lot of software, even if
it's not part of the official core repositories. This is one of our strengths.
Let's make good use of it.

--
Cornelius Schumacher <cschum@xxxxxxx>