Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE 13.1 - Preparation for Evergreen
  • From: Michal Kubecek <mkubecek@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2015 10:53:39 +0100
On Monday 14 of December 2015 10:21:19 Richard Brown wrote:
On 14 December 2015 at 07:51, Michal Kubecek <mkubecek@xxxxxxx> wrote:
All the time people complain about the lack of active contributors.
And then when a group of people makes the effort and contribute,
openSUSE Board chairman goes a long way to actively discourage
potential users and contributors of the project. I find such
approach really disturbing.

I would prefer the former - and I strongly hope that the views
presented by Richard Brown in this discussion are only his personal
and do not represent the official position of openSUSE project.

The views I am presenting are nothing more then the concise repetition
of the currently stated decisions by the established contributors to
the Evergreen project
Don't shoot the messenger, and as you clearly didn't know about this
situation

The quotes you presented only confirm that what you wrote is your
personal interpretation and the actual situation is different. The
future of Evergreen 13.1 after November 2016 is still open and depends
on contributors joining the effort. Statements like "There will be no
Evergreen 13.1 after November 2016." from someone in your position can
be extremely harmful.

I understand that you would prefer everyone moving to Tumbleweed or at
least (latest) Leap - but you should restrain yourself from abusing your
role to actively discourage people from participating in projects just
because they are incompatible with your personal views and wishes. With
power, responsibility comes - and Board chairman should be responsible
enough to restrain oneself from this kind of manipulation.

maybe your energies would be better spent in a direction
other than criticising me for doing my job? :)

As long as I'm concerned about _how_ you are doing your job, I'm going
to criticize it. And given the way you are communicating recently, I'm
concerned a lot. So I'm going to criticize you, learn to live with it.
Or, better, try to learn from the feedback you get.

Michal Kubeček