Re: [opensuse-project] Why Cheap 64-bit Intel Hardware is Better than Old 32-bit Hardware
Richard Brown composed on 2015-12-12 19:26 (UTC+0100):

These machines are still going to be many times faster than whatever

Speed is a non-issue for picture viewing, email, and online shopping and
billpay. What was fast enough more than a decade ago is likely fast enough
today.

old 32-bit hardware is still lurking out there. While I understand ANY
money might be 'too much' for some, I do think that it's important to
make clear that 64-bit hardware is really not that expensive.

64-bit hardware, even (or especially) the cheap examples I suggest
above, benefit from years of laptop and data centre hardware
development. They're smaller, lighter, quieter (important if you're
running this at home) and more power efficient.

Cheap and new both come at a price, among which is commonly absence of
longevity. Look at cell phones. Ignoring how quickly their software
capability becomes obsolete, the hardware typically doesn't last very long. A
cheap PC, regardless of bits, doesn't have the track record a machine still
going strong after 10 or 15 years has.

Cheap PCs typically lack PS/2 ports. I still use keyboards made before the
first USB keyboards were made, long before Win keys first appeared, and don't
support USB adapters. I've been unable to find newer with a layout
facilitating one hand touch typing using Fn keys (all 12 at left end, which
Fn, Ctrl, Alt & Shift co-located facilitate, and all newer keyboards make
impossible).

Newer doesn't automatically mean better where better counts most.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/