Re: [opensuse-project] Leap: Graphic design
  • From: Jay <MyMailClone@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 10:04:23 +0200
Am Montag, 27. Juli 2015, 16:55:31 schrieb Home:
On July 27, 2015 at 4:36:07 PM, Jay (mymailclone@t-
online.de(mailto:mymailclone@xxxxxxxxxxx)) wrote:
Am Montag, 27. Juli 2015, 13:58:14 schrieb PatrickD Garvey:
On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 11:28 AM, Jay wrote:
Am Montag, 27. Juli 2015, 14:19:49 schrieb Greg Freemyer:
On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 12:19 PM, Jay wrote:
In my experience it takes time to develop a good graphic design
(here: log-in screen / default wallpaper).

So just in case this has not been done already, briefing the
designers
now
would not be wrong. There's enough information available now to
give
them
an idea of what Leap is about.

That way they would have enough time to come up with a good draft.

And a better one if the first one goes up in flames. ;)

Rainer Fiebig

There is a graphic design team for openSUSE.

Let's hope they have subscribed to this list. ;)

I'm sorry, they have their own list:
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-artwork/

Perhaps, it would be a good tactic to start a discussion with them by
subscribing and posting to their communications channel for a short
discussion of the Leap 42 decisions made thus far?

Good idea. I'll do that.

I took a look at that list before I posted my suggestion here.
The last post was as of Apr 9 2015. So I thought it might be dead.

And my suggestion was more meant as a reminder: "Guys, don't forget the
graphic design It will take some time to develop - if you want it to be
good."

I was a bit surprised by Andres Betts' reaction because for me it was
a sure thing that the graphics-people would love to do some work for a
release with a name like "Leap 42.1".

If I were a graphic designer I would take it as an invitation! And not
as a troublesome burden.

But people are different, right?

Rainer Fiebig

I guess what bothers me about this discussion is that it is focused on small
communication that creates a ton of emails for people who may not be so
interested in reading the back and forth. So I ask that we please move on
from "Andy says this, I think that, I like what you said there but not over
there, etc etc."

I've made a suggestion(!) meant as a reminder. That's all.
"...a ton of emails..." is vastly overblown and I'm sure people here can
handle the amount of emails created in this thread so far.

And a little hint from you like "Let's discuss that over at..." would have
been enough.

The best people to contact here are probably those that have made a
wallpaper previously. Historically that has been Richard and Marcus. They
have probably placed more wallpapers on our distros than the rest of us at
#artwork. That is great experience and they might probably be willing to
create a new wallpaper for Leap. They also have the technical knowledge to
add that to the sources from which we build Leap.

Other good people to reach out to are Victor and Tigerfoot. They are
awesome!

I generally do editing, so while I would not create the wallpaper I can
offer feedback and ideas inspired on a base design.

Why are you so obsessed with "wallpaper"? Read my original post.

And no, I won't contact anybody in this matter. But perhaps you should.
Because "wallpapers" is obviously what you seem to know something about.

And you now know that something's going on here and you know who to contact.

Also, it was mentioned on the communication before to have a good marketing
idea for Leap that could be translated into design. For example, when we
have created wallpapers for the distribution in the past, we have looked
for ideas in past designs, mottos, people, places, brand, etc. Out of which
good artwork has come out.

Do you have any subjects that designers could use to design a wallpaper for
Leap?

Again "wallpaper".

Subjects:
1) Leap 42.1
2) Take a look at https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Leap /Marketing
Aspects/openSUSE Leap/Development guideline.

And if that's not enough to get your imagination going, I can't help you.

If so, where do they come from? What is the reasoning for such theme?
How does the the subject advance the brand, marketing and the community?

Yea...and the Universe and all the rest.
Stop trying to lecture me on marketing, man. That's pointless.

And that's my last response to you.

Over and out.

Rainer Fiebig