Re: [opensuse-project] Leap 42.1: Positioning / USP
  • From: Jay <MyMailClone@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2015 18:18:43 +0200
Am Freitag, 17. Juli 2015, 14:50:04 schrieb Richard Brown:
On 16 July 2015 at 18:17, Jay <MyMailClone@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The baby's got a name now and a good solution for hardware-
support (kernel) seems to have been found.

So I've been thinking a bit about how we might finally position Leap
and also use this as the USP (Unique Selling Proposition).

In positioning one has to consider what the target-user may value,
what the product offers and of course the competition.

I think we roughly know what our target-users like
and what other major distros are doing.

So I took a look at Leap again. When using the latest LTS-kernel

with the SUSE-packages, it has the following features/benefits:
- hard to beat stability
- continuity through long-term-support
- pretty up-to-date hardware-support
- up-to-date yet stable user-software

Obviously, Leap has a strong stability/continuity-attribute
and a somewhat less-strong "up-to-date"-attribute.

Now for the hard part: how to summarize this without
writing an article?

The name "Leap 42.1" already does part of the job.
Stability and continuity can be merged into "reliability".
For lack of a better idea, I called the "up-to-date"-attribute
just that.

And this leads to my proposal for positioning Leap 42.1 as:
> The Up-to-date Reliability Release <

AFAIK no other major distro offers the same combination.

So the USP would be:
The only Up-to-date Reliability Release

"Up-to-date Reliability Release" is a new expression
(as is "Reliability Release") and AFAIK no other
major distribution so far has made that claim.

As Leap would be the first to do so, chances are good
that after a while of consistent communication
Leap would own this position in the users mind.

Any thoughts?
"Up-to-date" too strong?
Could we stand by that claim also in the long run?

Thanks for starting the conversation. I like the train of thought

My thoughts about our 'USP' with Leap always seem to fall on the same phrase

"The Best of Both Worlds", which isn't just the title of my favourite
Star Trek TNG double-bill, but a good descriptor of what Leap brings
to the table that no other distribution has

A combination of both Enterprise packages and stability, and community
innovations, integrated, tested, and distributed as a single
distribution.

I think that describing it more along those lines should hopefully
lead us to better reflect what we're really offering

I think that positioning Leap along the user-relevant benefits of reliability
and up-to-dateness is a more effective strategy than positioning
along enterprise/community.

But I also like the two-worlds-analogy. It's catchy and goes well with the
name.

However, I found the two approaches difficult to reconcile.

For instance, one cannot just say that "community" stands for up-to-dateness
and "enterprise" for reliability. Because this would imply that Debian is 100%
up-to-date but 0% stable - which is absurd.

I nevertheless tried to merge the two concepts by changing "both worlds" into
"two worlds" and tweaking it more towards reliability and up-to-dateness.

It would go like this:

Leap 42.1: The best of two worlds

Proven SUSE enterprise-components, an LTS-kernel and 3 years of support
combine with the innovative spirit of the OpenSource community
for excellent reliability and just right up-to-dateness.

Reliability and up-to-dateness are explicitly mentioned, sweet-spot of
positioning is hit, no interpretation of "enterprise/community" necessary.

Speaking of "two worlds" instead of "both worlds" makes it less misleading
with respect to other OSs.

Rainer Fiebig