Re: [opensuse-project] Re: Leap 42.1: Positioning / USP
  • From: Jay <MyMailClone@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2015 11:26:34 +0200
Am Samstag, 18. Juli 2015, 07:32:42 schrieb Łukasz 'Cyber Killer' Korpalski:
W dniu 18.07.2015 o 00:20, Jim Henderson pisze:
Something like:

Enterprise + Community = The Best of Both Worlds
openSUSE Leap 42.1

as a banner ad or something like that. That gets the idea implanted so
that later communications, you can depend on a large enough segment of
the user population having equated "Enterprise + Community" with "The
Best of Both Worlds" as messaging.

I also like this emphasis on both enterprise and community.

I also like "Best of" because it is nice to say, rather non-binding and still
suggests you get the "Best" of something.

But my problem with it is that at the same time it's also ambiguous and a bit
wishy-washy. IMO not concrete enough.

- first: - What worlds?
Let's make a thought-experiment. Imagine an
advertisement or
news article for Leap in a
computer-magazine.
What would the hurried reader think if
he sees "Best of
both worlds"?

- second: - "Enterprise"
- What exactly does that mean? What does it
stand for? Is that
really immediately clear?
Is it stability? Commerce? Or what?

- third: - "Community"
- What exactly does that mean? Would that be
immediately clear
for everybody?
Is it software? Facebook?
And would it really communicate a
benefit? A strong
argument to switch to Leap?
I have my doubts.

On the other hand using stability or being up to date as the main
messages will cause some problems after a couple of releases, when e.g.
some bug gets into the release (which happens from time to time, e.g.
13.1 had a bug that prevented successful install on certain pretty new
dell laptops with broadcom wifi, and there was an issue with keyboard
layouts), or some exotic packages won't be in the newest versions (which
happens all the time), etc. Then users will complain, and trolls will
use this as their weapon.

I'm only saying - it's better to be careful with promises.

As I've already said: Too late! Do you know what "42" stands for? ;)
And "42.1" is even improved! ;)

On a more serious note: Nobody expects a "perfect" product. Nor would we
promise one. And it's a known fact that if you made a mistake and admit it
and work hard to put it right as soon as possible, your customers will value
your effort and like the product even more.

Rainer Fiebig