[opensuse-project] Re: Leap 42.1: Positioning / USP
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2015 05:54:58 +0000 (UTC)
On Sat, 18 Jul 2015 07:32:42 +0200, Łukasz 'Cyber Killer' Korpalski wrote:

W dniu 18.07.2015 o 00:20, Jim Henderson pisze:

Something like:

Enterprise + Community = The Best of Both Worlds openSUSE Leap 42.1

as a banner ad or something like that. That gets the idea implanted so
that later communications, you can depend on a large enough segment of
the user population having equated "Enterprise + Community" with "The
Best of Both Worlds" as messaging.

I also like this emphasis on both enterprise and community.

On the other hand using stability or being up to date as the main
messages will cause some problems after a couple of releases, when e.g.
some bug gets into the release (which happens from time to time, e.g.
13.1 had a bug that prevented successful install on certain pretty new
dell laptops with broadcom wifi, and there was an issue with keyboard
layouts), or some exotic packages won't be in the newest versions (which
happens all the time), etc. Then users will complain, and trolls will
use this as their weapon.

I'm only saying - it's better to be careful with promises.

Very true.

I can't tell you the number of times I see posts on the facebook group or
in the forums from people saying that they're happy because after 11 or
12 tries, they've managed to install openSUSE. (Well, that one, I can
tell you - once. But fewer than that does happen more frequently).

So while the vast majority of people generally have success, stability in
particular depends a lot on hardware, and unlike SLE, openSUSE has to
deal with a lot more consumer-grade hardware.

Jim

--
Jim Henderson