Re: [opensuse-project] Re: Leap 42.1: Positioning / USP
  • From: Jay <MyMailClone@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2015 01:00:17 +0200
Am Freitag, 17. Juli 2015, 22:15:33 schrieb Jim Henderson:
On Fri, 17 Jul 2015 22:02:39 +0200, Jay wrote:
Sure. But which one? Current/recent/actual? I was even thinking of
"cool" but in the end I wasn't really happy with any of those.

Yeah - I had the same problem as I tried to come up with the right word,
too.

So I resorted to "up-to-date" which is a quite familiar term. Not
optimal but at least straight to the point. ;)

True.

But by talking early on in building "brand recognition" for Leap and
tying the name to the ideas of having current software and being
reliable, eventually you should be able to talk just about the "best of
both worlds" and have people generally know that that's what you mean.

Yep. But "The Up-to-date Reliability Release" (URR) puts more emphasis
on being "current" which includes hardware-support. That's why for URR
to work the latest LTS-kernel would be essential.

Being more current would set Leap apart from Debian, Centos and other
LTS-"stability"-releases.

Richard Brown's idea of "Best of both worlds" puts more emphasis on
"community-innovations" - if I understand him correctly. And this might
work without the LTS-kernel.

That it might. The trick with "up-to-date" (or whatever synonym is used)
is that it needs to be clear that while it's got current software, it's
not necessarily "bleeding-edge" current software.

True. The right wording is important. But there would be accompanying info.
And I think those seeking bleeding-edge-experience don't belong to the target
group. So disappointing one ore two of them wouldn't be so bad.

The goal, I think, is a good balance between high reliability without
depending on having outdated packages to achieve that reliability (which
is at least *part* of my issue with SLE, for example).

Until relatively recently, I was running SLES10 on a server here at home,
but the farther along I got, the more difficult I found it to be to even
build packages I needed because library dependencies couldn't be met
without really gutting the entire set of current "stable" libraries.

So while it was incredibly stable, it was too inflexible for my needs.

I guess you'll be one of the first to leap to Leap! ;)

But without that, I agree with jdd here - that if you specify just "The
best of both worlds", you might make people think that you were talking
about, for example, the Linux and Windows worlds coming together.

Jim

That's up to Richard to comment on.

But perhaps we should just say

"Leap 42.1 - The Best of ALL Worlds!" ;)
:
:)

Jim

Greetings!