[opensuse-project] Re: Leap 42.1: Positioning / USP
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 22:20:22 +0000 (UTC)
On Fri, 17 Jul 2015 22:45:16 +0200, Richard Brown wrote:

"The Best of Both Worlds" refers to the Enterprise-provided and
Community-provided sources which we build Leap

I see what you did there, you Star Trek geek. ;)

That's cool, I hadn't even thought of that approach.

I don't see how that could possibly be construed to include Windows, but
if it did, then "The Best of All Worlds" is at least 33% worse as it
would also include OS X

It's a matter of context - if the context is about choosing a platform,
then I could see how someone could misconstrue the idea as being "Windows
+ Linux" (the "best of both worlds") without additional context around
the messaging.

So, early on, it's critical to the success of the "Best of both worlds"
messaging that the context be provided to mean "enterprise + community"
rather than "reliability and up-to-dateness" (which is what I thought it
was) or something else.

Something like:

Enterprise + Community = The Best of Both Worlds
openSUSE Leap 42.1

as a banner ad or something like that. That gets the idea implanted so
that later communications, you can depend on a large enough segment of
the user population having equated "Enterprise + Community" with "The
Best of Both Worlds" as messaging.

Jim

--
Jim Henderson