Re: [opensuse-project] Leap 42.1: Positioning / USP
  • From: Jay <MyMailClone@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 12:35:15 +0200
Am Freitag, 17. Juli 2015, 11:13:26 schrieb Martin Schlander:
Torsdag den 16. juli 2015 18:17:24 skrev Jay:
So I took a look at Leap again. When using the latest LTS-kernel

with the SUSE-packages, it has the following features/benefits:
Some of these are questionable.

- hard to beat stability
- continuity through long-term-support

Already a lot of SLE core packages are being replaced (kernel, qt, gtk,
gnome, alsa, pulseaudio). Imagine how it will be in 42.2 and 42.3.

I guess in the end the added "stability" and "continuity" will be limited to
systemd, the LAMP stack, GNU utils and maybe YaST. Everything else will
have the same stability as before or worse, because the packages are tested
more on Tumbleweed, than they will be on Leap.

"worse" would be bad indeed.

Also there's a big question mark about how the service packs will be
announced and installed. The way things are looking to me the, the user
will need to keep track of service pack releases himself. And then either
download an ISO and upgrade with that, or manually switch repos to 42.2 and
zypper dup every 12 months (maybe the YaST Wagon module will be usable?).
Upgrading the desktop environment and all applications to new and changed
versions. I'm not sure desktop users will perceive that as continuity, even
if systemd and some other base packages don't change. Compare that e.g. to
running 13.2 for 26 months, with nothing really changing.

For server users the service packs will probably be less disruptive, so they
might experience some continuity, even if they need to "distupgrade" every
12 months. But it's a complicated thing to communicate to them I think.

Your'e painting a rather grim picture here. Hope this doesn't come true.
I supposed those things would already be clear at this stage.

For me there are too many open questions to even begin considering a
strategy for how to market Leap.

But it's about time if Leap is to be launched at the beginning of November.
That's why I wrote this thing.

Rainer Fiebig