Re: [opensuse-project] Leap 42.1: Positioning / USP
Torsdag den 16. juli 2015 18:17:24 skrev Jay:
So I took a look at Leap again. When using the latest LTS-kernel
with the SUSE-packages, it has the following features/benefits:

Some of these are questionable.

- hard to beat stability
- continuity through long-term-support

Already a lot of SLE core packages are being replaced (kernel, qt, gtk, gnome,
alsa, pulseaudio). Imagine how it will be in 42.2 and 42.3.

I guess in the end the added "stability" and "continuity" will be limited to
systemd, the LAMP stack, GNU utils and maybe YaST. Everything else will have
the same stability as before or worse, because the packages are tested more on
Tumbleweed, than they will be on Leap.

Also there's a big question mark about how the service packs will be announced
and installed. The way things are looking to me the, the user will need to
keep track of service pack releases himself. And then either download an ISO
and upgrade with that, or manually switch repos to 42.2 and zypper dup every
12 months (maybe the YaST Wagon module will be usable?). Upgrading the desktop
environment and all applications to new and changed versions. I'm not sure
desktop users will perceive that as continuity, even if systemd and some other
base packages don't change. Compare that e.g. to running 13.2 for 26 months,
with nothing really changing.

For server users the service packs will probably be less disruptive, so they
might experience some continuity, even if they need to "distupgrade" every 12
months. But it's a complicated thing to communicate to them I think.

For me there are too many open questions to even begin considering a strategy
for how to market Leap.