Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Product Portfolio (was: The Name & Version for the new openSUSE Regular Distribution)
  • From: Michal Kubecek <mkubecek@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2015 07:55:20 +0200
On Wednesday 08 of July 2015 17:25:57 Jay wrote:
An LTS-kernel would reinforce the LTS-/ultimate-stability-idea of Leap
while ensuring hardware-support that's up-to-date-enough for that
release. It would also signal that Leap is not behind the status quo.

The latest LTS-kernel listed on kernel.org is 3.18. That's newer than
the initial kernel (3.16) for 13.2. And I think that may already
suffice. An LTS-kernel 4.1 would of course be better - if "announced"
is really equal to "listed".

According to https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html, 3.18 stable
has expected EOL in January 2017. That's not sufficient if we want three
years of support for 42.1. Of course, we don't know yet for how long
does Greg plan to maintain 4.1 stable (technically, it's not LTS yet).

In any way it should be ensured that 13.2-users who upgrade to Leap
don't encounter hardware-issues due to an outdated kernel.

Just an idea... what if we don't insist on 13.2 -> 42.1 being an upgrade
in all components? If we hold to the "two releases plus two months"
rule, 13.2 should be supported until 42.2 is released so that current
13.2 users could keep using it for now and then upgrade to 42.2 which
will most likely have newer kernel.

Michal Kubeček