Re: [opensuse-project] Re: openSUSE Product Portfolio (was: The Name & Version for the new openSUSE Regular Distribution)
  • From: G G <hawake@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2015 23:47:41 +0200
Hi,
I strongly agree with Axel Braun. As a common user (and a
contributor), I still do not fully understand the reason behind the
decision of including those SUSE's patches.

openSUSE 13.2 is rock solid, fast and beautiful. It supports stable
software, not fresh nor so old, but it has an excellent hardware
support. It has all the stuff that a common user could expect from a
stable desktop-oriented Linux distribution like openSUSE.

As far as i understand, the new Leap 42 release will have an older
kernel in order to support SUSE patches. That means older hardware
support and older software available. So, we are going to exchange
something that is proven to work and that the users like (openSUSE
13.2), with something that seems enterprise-oriented, probably stable,
that needs more work behind than that for openSUSE 13.2.

Since it will also have releases aligned with SLE releases, does that
means that openSUSE is going to become a new Fedora-like distribution
(i.e. a testbed for enterprise stuff)? Please, don't get me wrong, i
really appreciate the contribution of SUSE and all its employees to
the openSUSE Community and to the development of the Distribution, but
many things are unclear and i think that openSUSE right now, with 13.2
+ Tumbleweed + Factory, is simply great.

Thanks for the answers in advance,

Bye
hawake

--