Re: [opensuse-project] Don't search developers. Develop them. Events, events everywhere
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <carlos.e.r@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 03:50:51 +0200

On 2015-05-10 11:26, Martin Schlander wrote:
Lørdag den 9. maj 2015 19:24:52 skrev Richard Brown:

So, if we're not compromising on speed because we have
Tumbleweed, why should we compromise on Stability for our Regular
Release?

Because those are the two extremes that each appeal to very few
people. Others have tried this before (Gentoo, Arch, Debian
Unstable on the one side, CentOS and Debian Stable on the other).

Most people don't want bleeding edge or enterprise grade stability.
They want the middleground, i.e. a good balance of reasonable
stability and reasonable (consumer) hardware support and fairly
up-to-date applications.

Exactly.

We are three groups... and the majority of users is IMO in that middle
ground.

If you're primarily motivated because "every release I get all
the new stuff", then please, use Tumbleweed, and if it's not
perfect for you, help us make it better.

Tumbleweed will never be an option, no matter how good it becomes,
it will still be rolling. Hence I will not use it and I can barely
recommend it to anyone.

Same here.

If you're motivated to use openSUSE because "I want a Linux
distribution that just works", then please, help us with this
new Regular Release, in order to make it perfect for you use
cases.

Well, if you're going to sell this idea, you need to show me how
it'll be significantly different than Debian Stable (apart from
having a few great tools like yast, zypper, obs of course ;-).

Because from what I gather from the discussion, assuming anyone
would actually step up and build this distro, it'll have:

* a release every 2-3 years * it'll have outdated hardware support
compared to any mainstream distro * old software (primarily talking
about applications and desktop environments here, the stuff that
people actually "see") * it'll be very stable * the lifetime will
be at "least 3 years" (i.e. not 5-6-7 years)

So to me that sounds very much like Debian Stable. And people have
already voted with their feet on that. There is very limited
interest from users and developers alike - apart from the
home/small office server niche. On the desktop it is virtually
non-existent.

If you could convince us that this distro could somehow achieve
competitive hardware support of random newish cheapo laptops (wifi,
power management etc.) and have applications that don't represent
the state of the free software world of 2-4 years past - while
maintaining hyper stability. Then maybe it could become
interesting. But I can't see how that's possible.

I agree...

- --
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Minas Tirith))