Re: Desktop Users don't contribute - My response Re: [opensuse-project] Don't search developers. Develop them. Events, events everywhere

On 05/13/2015 02:02 AM, Akash Vishwakarma wrote:
Hi,

On 07-May-2015 2:58 pm, "Richard Brown" <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi!

And in the case of all of the other, non-developer contributions, the
situation we face in our community right now is pretty ugly.
We basically don't have a marketing team any more, the wiki doesn't
get the attention and polish it deserves, our admin team are working
at full capacity and need more help, and so on and so forth.

What has the existing community done to overcome this trend? What have they
done to encourage the desktop users to contribute to the project?

And so, the suggestion from the Board that we steer the Project in a
direction that directly targets 'Makers', an audience which primarily
encapsulates sysadmins and developers, but also users who overlap
these audiences and/or aspire in that direction

This is an area we're already strong in, technically, and we think
we'll be able to attract the kind of people who naturally, and easily,
are able to both use, benefit from, and contribute back to openSUSE

This isn't an 'abandonment' of our other users, openSUSE will still
work for them as well as it does today, hopefully better, but I think
it's very important that openSUSE has clear direction, a clear target,
which allows us to apply focus to improve our offerings for those
people, and hopefully in return get more new blood into the community
who can contribute back and continue the upward trajectory we
currently have.

Regards,

Richard
--

Who'd contribute to non-technical aspects of project?
Desktop Users I guess. And the technical contributions will be made by

I suggest before making openSUSE a developer centric project, the openSUSE.org
website gets updated (as shown in Roberts keynote) with a link to contributions
page on every *.openSUSE.org page. Then wait for sometime to see if users start
contributing.

I've been using openSUSE as my default GNU/Linux distro for last two years and have been
visiting www.openSUSE.org at least once a month, but never came to know about
https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:How_to_participate. I only came to know about it when I
became interested in packaging. I googled "packaging on openSUSE" and one of
the search results landed me there.

And even though I somehow reached that page I didn't came to know about
openFATE from wiki. I came to know about openFATE from forums.openSUSE.org

And what does portal: how to participate tell - participate, document, develop,
spread, lead, release it. I wish the page also described what those string of
texts mean. Then it would have lead me (or other users) to click on those on
those links. Else why would anyone want to click on those links.

I have similar questions, I was using openSUSE for 2 years before I realised there was a forum, and that was only because someone told me a issue was raised there on a package I was maintaining. I also don't understand what connect provides that isn't provided on the forum or social media or wiki etc, I always found it quite confusing.

I think what needs to happen with our web presence is the board as the projects guiding presence needs to sit down and come up with a idea of what our web presence should be to best facilitate these goals there outlining, questions like what elements do we actually want and need. As well as who are we targetting, the last web front page concept I saw was targeting end users with very little for technical people or people looking for ways to contribute which is the opposite of who we are apparently now targeting.

After there is some clear idea the board should then probably put out a call (blog, social media, forums) for a team to refresh the web infrastructure, as this is such a key component it would be ideal if this team was being lead by someone on the board. It would surprise me if we couldn't find some people in the community with the time and experience to help once there is a clear plan of what needs to be done. If people can't be found maybe the board needs to decide that this is a critical thing for openSUSE to succeed and approach some sponsors to help make it happen. In my opinion a well setup web presence is going to do alot more to attract new contributors then conferences etc,

On a unrelated point I think if we are targeting power users we need to be careful not loose the ease of use of the stable distro because that will start to cause people to go other places particularly technical people new to Linux and such people should become a good target base for finding new contributors.

Cheers

Simon Lees

openSUSE Enlightenment Maintainer