Re: [opensuse-project] Don't search developers. Develop them. Events, events everywhere
S√łndag den 10. maj 2015 13:32:26 skrev Richard Brown:
On 10 May 2015 at 11:26, Martin Schlander <martin.schlander@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
* a release every 2-3 years

Wrong - we're talking about an openSUSE 'minor release' every year,
based on SLE Service Packs (current planning within SUSE expects SLE12
service packs at the end of each calender year)
A major release would be about 3 years into the future, around the
same time as SUSE building SLE 13. SUSE intend to build SLE 13 by
starting with a snapshot of Tumbleweed when they need to start
building the next version of the enterprise distro.. I guess I forgot
to mention that, but it might go some way to express the reliability
Tumbleweed has these days.

If this were to be true you would end up having 3-4 different stable openSUSE
releases alive to support at any given time.

And in the case of SLE11->SLE12 it would actually have been 5 years between
major releases.

* it'll have outdated hardware support compared to any mainstream distro

Wrong - SLE Service Packs always have baked in hardware enablement,
and sometimes may include full Kernel version changes. openSUSE
Releases will benefit from this work.

If this were true it would mean I could go and get SLE11 with the latest
servicepack and it would have hardware support comparable to openSUSE 13.2 for
cheapo consumer laptops and other consumer hardware. I find that hard to
believe.

Guess I should try and get the trial of SLE11SP3 to see how bad things
actually are towards the end of SLE major cycle.