Re: [opensuse-project] Don't search developers. Develop them. Events, events everywhere
On Friday 08 May 2015 10.15:47 Klaas Freitag wrote:
"what can we do now if Ubuntu is more attractive to normal users?",
which lead to this experienced users/developers idea.

I know that marketing always works like "identify a market, and act on
that" - but I think in our case of openSUSE that is wrong. We should
more be proud of what we can and have, and present that openly and self
confidently. We have a lot, and that will attract a lot of people such
users, developers, bee keepers, automobile racers, etc if we tell them.
We want all of them, there is no need to "preselect" on devs.

Now people will say, "But you need focus", yes, and the focus of
openSUSE for me always was clearly:
- transparency and an open collaboration model between company and community
- a strong free software focus
- technical excellence in quality and system design
- opportunity and room to realize "your idea" with rich free infrastructure
- a nice welcoming community

We do very well in (almost) each of the points. But we fail to present
that. Nice "material" does not really tell people that. Enthusiastic
community does.

Thanks Klass, this translate and give substance to my personal opinion,
of it's better to have a kind of "including" message than splitting "market".

Your last sentence, give the words I was missing.

--

Bruno Friedmann
Ioda-Net Sàrl www.ioda-net.ch

openSUSE Member & Board, fsfe fellowship
GPG KEY : D5C9B751C4653227
irc: tigerfoot