Re: [opensuse-project] After the Richard talk... what's new for openSUSE

On 05/07/2015 12:38 PM, Martin Schlander wrote:
Onsdag den 6. maj 2015 18:42:27 skrev Greg Freemyer:
Who will work on SLE based openSUSE? I doubt Tumbleweed
packagers will move 3-4 years back in time trying to build
stuff. At least some Tumbleweed packagers care about the
Tumbleweed based releases, of course mostly around release time
when they're still 98% identical to Tumbleweed.

I think you are missing a big part of the picture: SLE Point
releases:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SUSE_Linux_distributions#Suse_distributi
ons

So SLE 11 and 12 point releases came out

11.0 2009-03-24 11.1 2010-06-02 11.2 2012-02-29 11.3
2013-07-01 12.0 2014-10-10

As I understand it SLE Core would be updated with each point
release. And those point releases are rather all inclusive so you
often get a new kernel and software stack.

So SLE core would not be 3-4 years behind Tumbleweed as I
understand it.

Really? I don't know too much about the SLE service packs, but it's
my impression that they're not that exciting and don't upgrade too
much stuff. Particularly not from a desktop user point of view.

With the introduction of modules [1] in SLES 12 that have their own
life cycle and version change rules service packs in SLE 12 will be
more "exciting" than service pack releases in the past. For stuff that
is considered "core" we will end up with version numbers that are way
behind Tumbleweed. However that does not necessarily mean that the
features are also way behind, this will very much depend on the
package (see another reply to this thread for more details).

Later,
Robert

[1]
https://www.suse.com/communities/conversations/modules-bridging-gap-turt