Re: [opensuse-project] After the Richard talk... what's new for openSUSE
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 May 2015 18:42:27 -0400
Who will work on SLE based openSUSE? I doubt Tumbleweed packagers will move
3-4 years back in time trying to build stuff. At least some Tumbleweed
packagers care about the Tumbleweed based releases, of course mostly around
release time when they're still 98% identical to Tumbleweed.

Martin,

I think you are missing a big part of the picture: SLE Point releases:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SUSE_Linux_distributions#Suse_distributions

So SLE 11 and 12 point releases came out

11.0 2009-03-24
11.1 2010-06-02
11.2 2012-02-29
11.3 2013-07-01
12.0 2014-10-10

As I understand it SLE Core would be updated with each point release.
And those point releases are rather all inclusive so you often get a
new kernel and software stack.

So SLE core would not be 3-4 years behind Tumbleweed as I understand it.

If SLE Corp is indeed the future base for openSUSE releases, then
shouldn't the release schedule for openSUSE be based on SLE Core
updates?

Meaning the above dates plus some time to formalize an openSUSE
release around them. Or if SLE freezes SLE core months in advance of
the above, then the openSUSE release could even preceed the point
releases.

When did SLE 12 freeze the kernel version? As I recall it was in the
spring of 2014. If X was also version frozen in the spring, openSUSE
could have done a summer 2014 release and preceeded SLE 12 by months.

What I don't have any feel for is what happens at end of support.

Specifically SLE 11.0 was only supported for 21 months (without
upgrading to 11.1). So how would an openSUSE release based on 11.0 be
supportable past the 11.0 end-of-support?

To me the best option is to base both the release schedule and the
end-of-support schedule on the SLE point release and end-of-support
schedules. The trouble with that is support lifetime of SLE point
releases isn't fundamentally longer than openSUSE release's supported
life.

Is openSUSE going to have to start having point releases that match
SLE? (can't decide if I like or dislike that idea).

Greg