[opensuse-project] keynot on OSC15 opensuse <--> SLE
Hello,

I very much like the idea of closing together opensuse and SLE for a couple of reasons:

* at least from my personal point of view for the last 3 releases of
opensuse the stability of the release at its starting point
constantly decreased, resulting in of repairing and porting phase
that gets longer and long after every release even if your are only
using packages offered by SuSE (e.g. have you tried to update from
12.1 or 12.2 over the release steps to 13.2 with owncloud?)
* There are a couple of server targets that do not need the full SLES
program but simply a rocket solid basis an 1 to 3 progrmans on it
/like mail servers) that you either can put on docker or run for
small business on metal with an long running distribution. But you
do not want to change it every 18 months with an constantly
increasing migration effort resulting from the previous point.
* SLES has not always been as solid as one might have wanted in all
aspect or package; but it took quit a time to repair it. Joined
effort might speed up her.

From the last point: I think it essential for this approach to define /the fast way back for patches and drivers (if possible even kernel releases) from the community to SLE/. In that case this approach will immediately pay back to SLE regarding the fact that the components in server hardware nowadays also changes nearly as frequently as in consumer desktops.
In ancient times I used packages from the SuSE distrubution for SLES installations when they were not available there...

Given the fact that there is still no solution for opensuse 13.2 to startup a WLAN as system networking instead of user login related (due to the timing issues coming from that insane ideology of systemd that SLES still partly avoids...) there we be many use cases that needs a more stable better tested distribution rather than the newest software.

And yes: I'm running tumbleweed where need the newest kernel. opensuse distribution in the current constatlation is not fast enough for this in any case.

Kind Regards
Gerhard Roland