[opensuse-project] Re: After the Richard talk... what's new for openSUSE
  • From: "Matwey V. Kornilov" <matwey.kornilov@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 03 May 2015 12:04:50 +0300
02.05.2015 22:26, Akash Vishwakarma пишет:

But I don't see Tumbleweed ever coping
with proprietary blubs: moving target. The proprietary blubs always
lag behind by several months.

Sad but true, but I also think people would do well to re-evaluate
whether they really need the proprietary blobs - the open source
drivers are getting better, and are a good choice for many people now.
--

To tackle with this condition maybe we can decrease the update rate
such that these proprietary blobs don't break. (This idea may seem

Or

We could decrease the rate of update of specific packages. For e.g.
say Firefox doesn't affect the functionality of nvidia driver. So we
can update Firefox as fast as we can. But faster kernel updates may
break nvidia driver. So we link kernel updates with nvidia driver
update. Then if a user has installed nvidia driver, he would get
kernel update only if nvidia driver gets update or if someone has
verified that given kernel update won't break the nvidia driver then
also given kernel update can be pushed. Other users who don't have
these proprietary blobs can get faster update.

I would suggest just to have two kernel branches for tumbleweed.
The first one coming from
http://kernel.opensuse.org/cgit/kernel-source/log/?h=stable as it does now.
The second one is the latest longterm release. So, we would have 4.1.x
and 3.18.y for user choice. And if user has issues with proprietary
drivers then he just can stick on 3.18 or rollback. (It is similar to
debian with kernel from backports)

But, there are also drawbacks. I am not sure that OBS can handle this
situation. And the most important: filesystem and other user-space stuff
must be stay consistent between two kernel variants, so this will
require extra efforts to keep the thing sorted out.