Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE 2016: taking a picture of openSUSE today
  • From: Andrew Wafaa <awafaa@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 08:43:51 +0000
Hi Agustin,

Adding the list back into the discussion.

On 27 November 2013 23:12, agustin benito bethencourt <abebe@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

On Wednesday 27 November 2013 22:09:07 Andrew Wafaa wrote:
On 27 November 2013 21:11, agustin benito bethencourt <abebe@xxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Hi,

just some clarifications about the discussion process.

We will try to answer as many comments as possible, obviously. The
openSUSE
Team will do this together with me. They will lead the most technical
topics from our side. Since both, factory and this ML have several
hundred subscribers we will apply some "management" to answer.

Sorry, are you not part of the openSUSE Team? Your signature certainly
seems to say you are.

Yes I am. Please read.... "the rest" of the openSUSE Team.....

Excellent, thanks for the clarification.

Max Lin (with help, I hope), will try to summarize and group (if required)
the questions so myself or any other openSUSE Team member answer them. We
will also try to make summaries and recap the most significant
ideas/comments as overview.

Are the plans to publish the details on the wiki, maybe a read only page?

Ah, this could be an option, yes.

I'm sure there are other possibilities, the wiki was the first thing
off the top of my head. I'm curious as to what tools you plan on using
and how the community can help with this task. Improving openSUSE is
not just the openSUSE Team's task, it is the community's.

I am open to hear ideas to handle the process if become bigger. It would
be
ideal if it become our process.

Not sure I follow. Are you saying you would prefer that the community
agree on _your_ proposed process?

I was referring to the communication/discussion process in this sentence.

I think the process of discussion and communication has already been adopted.

Second try...

If someone is interested in helping to drive the discussion or have ideas
like the one you proposed....please shoot.

For many of you the following information is known, but still...in order
clarify the scope of my words....

The following days you will read comments from me making references to the
openSUSE Team from my position as Team Lead. You all are aware that
sometimes being employees working in a Free Software project is not like
contributing as volunteers or being sponsored. But SUSE is a Linux based
company with a very open/participative culture. This is not the military.
There is room for disagreement.... also in these discussions. ;-)

I disagree, I am employed to work almost entirely within open source,
it is what you make of it. The tone of your emails do not come across
as participative, you come across all dictatorial - You have decided
this is what you want and you are telling us to fall in line. That may
not be what you intend, but that is certainly how it comes across to
me - sorry for being honest.

I appreciate honesty.

I do not think that sharing ideas, being open to discuss them and willing to
come to conclusions is being dictatorial. Being clear not just about the
content but also about the motivations is one way toward transparency.
Obviously not the only one.

Oh I agree entirely. The problem is you do not come across as wanting
to share ideas and discuss their pros/cons. All your communication to
date has been very much in the style of "I've got this idea, here take
it!" No one wants anything shoved down their throat, we're not geese.

I understand your words as a negative to participate in this process. If that
is the case, let me invite you to reconsider it. Anyhow, I am sure you respect
that others participate and that I keep trying to collect as much
input/opinions as I can.

No you understand incorrectly. I am participating in the discussion,
what I am doing here is trying to help you so you don't loose any
credibility. One of openSUSE's biggest consistent failings over the
last 12 years is communication. We either didn't communicate, or when
we did we weren't clear enough; quite often the message that came out
was not the intended one due to processes etc getting in the way.

SUSE in openSUSE is way more than the openSUSE Team, as many of you know.
Sysadmin team, OBS crew, maintenance/security..., I do not speak on
behalf of them. My responsibilities are limited to the openSUSE Team.

But.......we (oS Team) will do our best to bring the needed answers and
statements from the qualified people at SUSE if, for whatever reason, they
cannot or do not want to participate directly in the debate. This task
will be part of the communication management mentioned earlier when
required.
Why would the openSUSE Team answer for the other teams?
OBS/Security/Legal/Maintanence/Release are already very active within
the community, so much so that their affiliation with SUSE is almost a
secondary thought.

My intention was to clarify who I am not. I am not surprised this information
is redundant for you. You have been around long enough. If it is also for
everybody else, I could have saved one paragraph. But if is not.....

May I suggest in that case for future communication, less is more?
Just get to the point, remove the padding. If you have an idea, state
it and provide any rationale you have. These multi page emails, make
people switch off which is not what we want.

Thanks for participating.