Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE 2016 picture
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 19:36:58 +0100
agustin benito bethencourt wrote:

Overhauled openSUSE Release
===========================

Once we have established the basis, we think we can concentrate in our
current user base. That is, end users and non-OS developers that needs
a solid base.

We see the openSUSE Release focused on two main targets:
* A desktop and a server oriented release that target end users that
work everyday with their computers.

That would be me and my company, I would welcome this very much.

In summary, we propose to focus in the direction where we already
shine:

The Linux you work with, for a living.

I like the concept, and have been working with openSUSE Linux for a
living since 2004. With a good dose of frustration every and now and
then.
When you work with something for a living, it has to remain fairly
stable, you can't be introducing your employees to a new steep learning
curve every other day.

Share your thoughts
===================

There are some questions we would like you to answer:

1) Do you agree with the proposed goals?

They're perhaps a bit hazy yet, but it sounds good so far.

2) Are there any other aspects relevant in this discussion? Can you
summarize them?

Wrt "A desktop and a server oriented release that target end
users that work everyday with their computers.", it would be good to
define the "end users" in this context more precisely.
For instance, where should/would openSUSE place itself when compared to
SLED/SLES?

4) How do you think we should proceed in order to go from these ideas
to real actions?

Start by identifying which areas need attention. For instance, for a
professional Linux user or admin, which problems do we create today?
In which areas do we lack attention to better suit a professional
environment? Basically take a good look at the perceived/intended end
user, and see where we clash or could have a better fit.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (-1.2°C)