Re: [opensuse-project] Board Announcement
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 13:08:29 +0100
On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 12:43 PM, Robert Schweikert wrote:
Hi,

On November 1st, 2013 Richard Brown will start to work for SUSE. This will
create an imbalance of SUSE employed elected board members over non SUSE
employed elected board members. With Will's resignation we currently have 3
elected board members as opposed to the expected 5 board members. Two of the
3 will be employed by SUSE, thus constituting a 66% position on the elected
board in favor of one company. This does not meet the guidelines for board
composition.

In order to meet the guidelines two additional SUSE employed elected board
members (Richard and Robert) would have to step down leaving the board with
1 elected member, Andrew. But hen 1 company would hold 100% of elected
positions on the board, also violating the guidelines. Thus, we do not
consider this to be a workable solution. Another option is to appoint two
new members that do not work for SUSE in short order. This has it's own
complication with the ongoing election process.

As we write this, we also realize that we have been violating the 40% rule
for some time. Ever since Raymond decided to step down and his seat was not
filled. The seat was not filled due to concerns regarding favoritism with
respect to closeness to the election. Both concerns are valid now as well,
of course. The past violation of this rule was an honest mistake and we
apologize for the oversight.

With the election pending we propose to continue as a 3 elected member
board, with 2 seats held by SUSE employees (Richard and Robert) and one seat
held by a member not employed by SUSE (Andrew), until the end of the year.
The new board will take the reigns in January and the percentage rule will
once again be upheld.

Collectively we can jump through a number of hoops to move all the puzzle
pieces in the proper location, the "what-if" scenarios could probably fill
multiple pages. However, with the election period upon us, it is the board's
opinion that this is not necessary. The decision ultimately rests with the
community and we will follow the guidance provided in the discussion of this
topic.

As just one of the many voices here, I think this is a very reasonable
solution without putting undue stress on the process of organizing the
upcoming elections.

As long as we as a community are aware and actions are planned... in
both cases, this has happened, then my lone voice says... no worries!
Thanks (to everyone) for all the effort it takes to be on the Board,
and the upcoming elections should be interesting. :-)

C.
--
openSUSE 12.3 x86_64, KDE 4.11