Re: [opensuse-project] Re: Bugzilla account creation.
  • From: Rajko <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 05:34:29 -0500
On Thu, 9 Aug 2012 02:42:10 +0000 (UTC)
Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

But Rajko, that's still anecdotal, not hard data. It's guessing
there must be a problem because of how it's designed.

It is not that much guessing.

There are principles how to design human interface, which are developed
by the people that understand how human body works. After visiting a lot
of web pages, and reading a lot on topics described in http://useit.com
I tend to guess much lesser then those that didn't.

In other words when you see roof under the house, and tell that is
wrong, is that a guess that there is a problem, just because how it is
designed :)

On the other hand, when you see
http://www.yproxy.com/blog/quality-control-on-name-brand-electronics/
do you see a problem instantly? Maybe.

I do. It is what I was busy with for years, and having an eye for bad
solder made my life much easier. There are details that will not
attract attention of casual viewer, but will be considered important
by informed person.

Back, to registration and login pages.
In this case I'm just informed viewer. Professional web and UI designer
will find far more mistakes.

That's not to say there isn't a problem, but as a friend of mine who
works for Google is fond of saying, "the plural of 'anecdote' is not
'data'."

And what your friend at Google tells about this tower:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leaning_Tower_of_Pisa
When you see that building, do you think for a second that is a good
design? It is hundreds years old and it still stands, like our
registration process. Not that anyone sane will climb up, but it
stands.

On the forums alone, we have currently 69,105 registered members -
which means we have that many people who have gone through the
registration process for the forums alone - and once that's done,
they have access to Bugzilla, the wiki, and everything else in the
openSUSE project that requires authentication. Even SUSE Studio and
OBS.

All fine.
Try to read this again:
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-project/2012-08/msg00014.html
it is not the same experience on different sites. Some have no chance
to see openSUSE registration page.

Significantly less than 1% of those people have complained about the
process it took to get registered - and the openSUSE forums have
always used this registration process since their inception with the
forum merge project.

Check again. It is not the same. Now forums have access to shorter
openSUSE registration form. Also, check number of registration before
and after switch.

Who should know about this to expect fix in another few days?
(Let me guess, bugzilla.novell.com :)

While there are still issues being fought with regards to login
performance and whatnot, I would expect the prioritization of
something that has generally been seen to work well (or at least not
cause a lot of complaints for all those who have gone through the
process).

First I still need answer on who should know?
It seems that all that can bring problem to solution don't read this
list.

Then me and complains.

Did I complained when I went trough?
No.

How many times I visited registration page before I finally decided to
go trough?
At least twice asking myself:"Why in the hell they need so much?" and
left.

How many people we lose each day that will be good contributors, but
never manage to go tough?
No one can tell. Those that go away don't talk.

What is impact of one person not signing up?
IMHO, big. More people will contribute more, improve quality and attract
more other contributors, like avalanche.

Note that I'm not saying it's perfect by any stretch. I'm just
saying that relative to the other issues that have been under
investigation, a working (if even somewhat convoluted) registration
process is relatively "small potatoes".

I guess that you did project management and put small easy to fix
issues ahead of bigger that need much more time to fix. There is always
end of the day when it is not reasonable to start big tasks, but too
much time to chat.

This one is really about 1 hour of work for skilled person, if we don't
count administration overhead. Keeping that unresolved until more
pressing stuff is addressed will keep small issue(s) working against
us.

I wouldn't expect it to be "fixed" in a short period of time because
it is at least working, if not what some (myself included) would call
"efficient".

It is more then efficiency.
It favors people that don't think twice before they jump.

Jim

--
Regards, Rajko