[opensuse-project] Re: Bugzilla account creation.
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 23:17:08 +0000 (UTC)
On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 18:02:21 -0500, Rajko wrote:

if the data you demand exists, it is held by Novell..
will they provide it to the community?

No.

When I was serious about wiki I needed data, and I would be happy with
some portion of server logs, but privacy and other stuff made impossible
to have even portion that will contain only page access.

Instead offer was to see some analytics for particular pages, and not
too many of them as it was time consuming to generate reports. As my
goal was to identify pages that need attention, offer was like catch 22,
not very encouraging.

Arguably, that was then, this is now. Now we have Agustin and his team,
who may be in a position to get this data internally and use it to inform
project decisions without compromising the corporate obligations to the
users registered in the system.

But like I said to DenverD, I've already made the request through people
I know who are involved on the "overall" web team (managing the corporate
sites and the analytics data), so perhaps something can be worked out.
I'm happy to make the effort so we aren't guessing about the effects of
the registration process and trying to fix either a problem that isn't
significant (in terms of possible attrition/loss of users due to the
registration process) or the wrong problem altogether.

Unfortunately, they switched from Omniture to Google Analytics a couple
years back, so I'm not sure how much detail is available as I've never
use GA myself for following click paths through the site. Omniture was
really good for that kind of analysis.

Jim
--
Jim Henderson