Re: [opensuse-project] Re: Bugzilla account creation.
  • From: Bryen M Yunashko <suserocks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2012 12:28:26 -0500
On Thu, 2012-08-09 at 16:06 +0000, Jim Henderson wrote:
Sure. And I'm not nor have never said that we *shouldn't* do this.
I'm
saying in terms of setting priorities, identifying the severity of
the
issue is significant. In project management, you don't spend a lot
of
time or effort on something that's impacting you by 10%. You spend it
on
things that are impacting you 80% or more. When you've dealt with
the
most severe problems, then you have the luxury of looking at the
smaller
issues.

Otherwise you're working on the wrong things.

There's very little I want to add to this thread, but saw this little
glint of opportunity and had to jump in. :-)

I agree with everything Jim says, in terms of prioritization and value.
But only as it exists in our current infrastructure.

I believe the heart of the frustration for why this topic keeps coming
up over the years is not about what's right or wrong with the
infrastructure, but that the community itself doesn't really have any
control over the infrastructure. In our openSUSE community, we're a
community of "just do it"-ers. People see something that they feel
needs to be worked on or is interesting enough to them, they can just
step up and do it.

Obviously, they cannot do that when it comes to the infrastructure that
we live in here. We are unable to assign work to handle certain points
of our infrastructure. We are unable to utilize the many and varied
expertise within the community. We can't even say "Well fine, you're
gonna complain? Here, you fix it!" Can we ever get to a point where
we can do that, with existing infrastructure or new infrastructure? I
don't know. But until somehow community feels it has a measure of
control, influence and sense of ownership over its infrastructure, this
topic will always keep cropping up.

Bryen M Yunashko
openSUSE Project