Re: [opensuse-project] Clossing of old bugs
On Thu, 2012-08-02 at 21:40 +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2012-08-02 19:34, Dimstar / Dominique Leuenberger wrote:
On Thu, 2012-08-02 at 18:59 +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:

I have had several bugs closed withing minutes, with a copy pasted excuse,
because they
are reported against 11.4 and 12.2 is coming.

This is demeaning!

Why on earth should I care and report bugs, if nobody is going even to
read them!

Carlos,

This was me closing them... no problem to state it.

Not only you.

Then it was a timing co-incidence :)

Yes, I did close > 200 bugs that were reported against 11.2, 11.3 and very
few 11.4 (less
critical ones) after verifying they are fixed in 12.2.

Do you in all honesty expect a maintenance update for fixing a bug in 11.2?
No? Good.. the
we agree on that.

I have bugs for 11.4 in which I have invested many hours without a single
comment from the
team. Not even "do not bother, we are not going to read your work".

Indeed, your work is surely appreciated, by all bug-hunters. I can't
speak for others, but at least the bugs I closed, I can assure you, I
read them (so I did not go for 'mass close' option), and tried to assess
if the problem is actually still there or not (a bunch of bugs I moved
even to 12.2, as they are still there).

I can only re-advise: depending on severity, verify if the bug at least
is fixed in 12.1 or 12.2. If it is, and the bug is of a not-so-critical
nature or might have a documented work around, then I'm not sure how
realistic a maintenance update is... in some cases it might be simple,
or not. No general statement possible

Still, I repeat it again: IF the problem is still there in a maintained
version, feel free
to open a bug. If the problem is 'minor' in 11.4 and fixed in 12.1, then
there is
predictably few chance to release a maintenance update.. unless somebody
steps up and
actually DOES do the work for this.

11.4 is a maintained version.

Indeed, it is (for about 4 more months). That's why I say: 'uncritical'
things might not be backported... this is nothing new, and had been
always the case IIRC.

Dominique