[opensuse-project] Re: Improving the bug management lifecycle/process
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 02:36:41 +0000 (UTC)
On Sat, 19 May 2012 12:31:43 +1000, Helen South wrote:

I can verify that you're not joking. I've seen some shockers on the
University forums. While most openSUSE users will have at least a bit of
knowledge, our increasingly broad userbase means some screening is
necessary. In some cases, no amount of documentation will make a
difference, but for keen beginners, there's definite value in guiding
them through the process.

Yup. :)

At this point, before we start making decisions, I feel it would be
helpful to lay out a clearer picture of what is happening where. There's
no point in worrying about screening if these are only a tiny minority
of trivial bugs - that a dev can within moments decide aren't worth
attention and mark with "Thank you for submitting this bug, however
information is incomplete therefore we're marking it 'unactionable'" or
something. More important is if genuine bugs are being delayed or
problematized by purely because the reporter made mistakes with
Bugzilla, or there's real timewasting going on trying to obtain
information and so forth.

Need data. Qualitative and quantitative. :)

Absolutely. I'm a huge fan of data-driven decision making. :)

Jim

--
Jim Henderson