Re: [opensuse-project] Re: Improving the bug management lifecycle/process
  • From: Helen South <helen.south@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 12:31:43 +1000
But that is a perennial problem, as long as I've been doing online
support, people have neglected to provide full or complete information
when starting to ask for help.  (And lest you think I was joking earlier,
I actually did have someone post a message on CompuServe years ago that
had a subject line of "Help" and the entire text of the message was, I
kid you not, "My thing's broke.").

Jim

I can verify that you're not joking. I've seen some shockers on the
University forums. While most openSUSE users will have at least a bit
of knowledge, our increasingly broad userbase means some screening is
necessary. In some cases, no amount of documentation will make a
difference, but for keen beginners, there's definite value in guiding
them through the process.

At this point, before we start making decisions, I feel it would be
helpful to lay out a clearer picture of what is happening where.
There's no point in worrying about screening if these are only a tiny
minority of trivial bugs - that a dev can within moments decide
aren't worth attention and mark with "Thank you for submitting this
bug, however information is incomplete therefore we're marking it
'unactionable'" or something. More important is if genuine bugs are
being delayed or problematized by purely because the reporter made
mistakes with Bugzilla, or there's real timewasting going on trying to
obtain information and so forth.

Need data. Qualitative and quantitative. :)
--
IRC: helen_au
helen.south@xxxxxxxxxxxx