Re: [opensuse-project] Re: bugzilla resolution "OBSOLETE"
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 21:54:54 +0200
Jim Henderson wrote:

On Wed, 16 May 2012 21:29:57 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:

We can quibble over words all day and not get anywhere. So the
concept is the important thing to get some consensus around.

A valid/actual bug that has been addressed (with or without update)
is RESOLVED.

A bug reported in a system that has since been superceded or in which
the bug is unlikely to be fixed (resources, age, whatever) is
NEEDINFO with a suggestion that the user a) upgrade or b) wait to see
if an upgrade will fix it. Possibly we could use UNSUPPORTED, but
that is a dangerous word too.

Yes, but as I said, the specific word choice is something that I think
we should shelve for now and we need to get aligned around the concept
first. If we're not aligned around the concept, then the word choice
discussion makes no sense at all.

Agree.

That's really a separate issue and a much larger one to tackle.
While it might be necessary/desirable to look at splitting the SUSE
BU's bugs off from the others in the Novell bugzilla, if we start
redesigning the entire system we'll end up not making any progress.

I honestly do not see a reason for having two separate copies of the
same infrastructure.

From a technical standpoint, there really isn't any other than perhaps
to increase the flexibility for us to make modifications to the UI.

True - I'm probably too old or too experienced to really appreciate the
issues here. Professionally I grew up with Dial-IBM and helped
implement IBM Info Management in the 1980s ....

But from an identity standpoint, now that SUSE is a peer to Novell
inside Attachmate (rather than a subsidiary of Novell), there may be
benefit to doing this.

But a wholescale redesign of bugzilla for openSUSE is out of scope for
this discussion.

Way out of scope - and I question the potential benefits. It would no
doubt be the Right Thing (R) to do, but only given the right resources
too.

I think we need to focus on some short-term wins in terms of refining
the bug process within what we have,

Yep.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (5.1°C)