Re: [opensuse-project] Re: Introducing the Freight Train
  • From: Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 21:26:30 +0200
On 2012-05-16 16:25:49 (+0000), Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
Part of the reason for that is, I think, something I personally refer to
as "SME syndrome" (SME = Subject Matter Expert). When one knows
something well enough to the point of it being second nature, one tends
to think there's nothing special about the skills and/or knowledge
involved.

I've seen countless SMEs who have very poor self-esteem because they
think "anyone could learn this".

Of course, that's not a ubiquitous thing, either. I've also seen plenty
of SMEs who are rightfully (and wrongfully - usually because they're not
the SME they think they are) very proud of their achievements. :)

No need to invent a new term, there is one already :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

But one can add a lot of other factors that come into play as
well, such as cultural differences (germanic vs latin, to
oversimplify -- plays a huge role but discussing that would
inevitably end up in a neverending thread), and/or for example
having some who see communicating and "bragging" about
achievements and activity as "unnecessary" or "bad" [1].

Some cultures cultivate the myth of success having to come out
of a group and dispise individuals who stand out, other cultures
do the exact opposite and value the genius of individuals.

What would often help tremendously is to accept that opinions
and wording are highly depending on cultural factors. Obviously
we always read and understand everything with our own cultural
filter. That often leads to misunderstandings, bashing,
disrespect, frustration, etc... Actually it does every single
day, including in this project.
I'd say at least in one out of three emails.

If we want to improve our communication (I mean the
communication between the people who care and contribute to the
project), that is definitely one thing we should become more
conscious of, i.e. before we start an argument, pause and think
whether it isn't just a different understanding or background.
Not that easy to do though :)

Another aspect that helps to understand many reactions, opinions
and disagreements is "people who are afraid of change" (aka
conservatism) vs "people who embrace change" -- that's an
oversimplification of course.

Sounds like a lot of BS? I used to think so too.
If you believe it's just a load of ...., then you're probably a
[1] :)

And if you understand German and think I'm just babbling
nonsense, who am I to talk about stuff like that anyway, check
this out: http://youtu.be/QxtDdEMp9w4
(Gunter Dueck, Psychologie des Wandels / psychology of change)

cheers
--
-o) Pascal Bleser
/\\ http://opensuse.org -- we haz green