[opensuse-project] Re: bugzilla resolution "OBSOLETE"
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 17:38:09 +0000 (UTC)
On Wed, 16 May 2012 12:41:04 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:

I like this idea in concept.

I don't...

[...]

Instead of OBSOLETE, do like mozilla.org -> EXPIRED or INCOMPLETE,
neither of which judge what has been done, and leave for consideration
possible propriety to reopen with updated information.

Don't forget too that one justification for INVALID can be obsolescence.

Looking briefly through bugzilla.mozilla.org re the Bugzilla software
product, the word obsolete seems to have a special meaning reserved for
use with attachments.

If it were up to me, "OBSOLETE" would not be added.

It actually sounds to me as if you are in favor of the idea conceptually,
but the specifics of the name are open. The idea being that we want to
identify bugs that are possibly no longer relevant in current releases.

Would that be a fair statement?

That's what I mean when I say I like the idea "in concept" - and I think
we're essentially aligned, but we can debate the specific word in use
once we've got agreement that there's a need for a status that
conceptually identifies that possible lack of relevance to a current
release.

I don't want to get bogged down at this stage in specific word choices,
let's stay focused on the concepts at this point, and once we are mostly
pulling in the same direction, then we can get into specific
implementation details.

Of course, this also assumes that getting an additional status in bugzilla
is going to be doable - we may have to step back and look at using an
existing status rather than creating a new one - another reason not to
get into too much detail until we have an answer as to what we can do in
the implementation.

I do have a question in to find out what flexibility there is in the
current implementation.

Jim

--
Jim Henderson