[opensuse-project] Re: Improving the bug management lifecycle/process
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 16:18:22 +0000 (UTC)
On Wed, 16 May 2012 14:31:50 +0200, Guido Berhoerster wrote:

On 16.05.2012 05:04, Jim Henderson wrote:
1. There should be some sort of "screening" that takes place before a
bug is accepted - to ensure that the devs aren't seeing multiple copies
of the same bugs. I think it's fair to say that those who write code
would far rather *write code* than try to sort through duplicate bug
entries. While it's likely there still would be dupes with a screening
process, the incidence should be reduced.

By default get assigned to the bnc-screening team who then assign to the
package maintainer(s), however without any evaluation. Who are these
people actually? It looks to me like Chinese SUSE/Novell staff. That
would be a place to expand upon if we could find voluteers subscribing
to the screening list and trying to do some further work such as
classifying, possibly triaging and identifying duplicates before
assigning to the actual maintainers. That doesn't require much technical
skills the hard part is luring new people into contributing first.

I think this probably comes back to providing some entry-level training
those who want to help but aren't sure what's involved. Bugzilla - for
all its good points - does present a pretty intimidating interface to the
uninitiated.

Maybe we could organize a live online-session every couple of months
(just throwing ideas out here) for those who want to help with bug
squashing but aren't sure how they can. A live Q&A often times will have
a less intimidating feel, because if discussion is encouraged by the
moderator/coordinator, a good discussion can occur that gets people
excited about helping out.

I think if we can get users to feel some sense of ownership - that
openSUSE is /their/ distribution, that will help feed the process. /
Especially/ if they can see the results of their contributions in a real
and tangible way.

2. There needs to be more of a "human" reply, especially on older
bugs, that are being addressed. Looking at the current Bugzilla stats,
I see that (for example) 12.1 has 183 bugs in a "NEEDINFO" state -
there needs to be some sort of consistent follow-up to ensure that the
info needed to fix the issues is provided, and if it isn't and the
information can't be obtained (because the issue cannot be duped, those
looking at it don't have the necessary hardware, etc), then the bug
needs to be closed.

3. For older bugs, (such as on 10.3-11.3, which there are still open
bugs on), a determination needs to be made as to whether the current
supported releases have those issues, and if they do, the bugs need to
be updated. If they don't, then the bugs need to be flagged in an
appropriate way.

I think it would be appropriate to automaitically send a reminder to
those bugs against unsupported releases in NEEDINFO state asking people
to triage against a supported version of oS and then to close those not
receiving any response in a couple of weeks. That's better than simply
WONTFIX'ing in case there are still people that care about them. In fact
that is what I already do with bugs against my packages.

That's a very good idea (I assume you mean "asking people to test" rather
than "triage"). :)

Jim
--
Jim Henderson