[opensuse-project] Re: Improving the bug management lifecycle/process
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 16:03:12 +0000 (UTC)
On Wed, 16 May 2012 13:51:53 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:

OK, so this is something I'd like to start trying to get my arms around
so we can have a more comprehensive approach to dealing with bug
reports and increase the rate of resolution as well as the follow-up
rate when additional information is needed.

It seems that we have a few areas that we should be looking at:

1. There should be some sort of "screening" that takes place before a
bug is accepted - to ensure that the devs aren't seeing multiple copies
of the same bugs. I think it's fair to say that those who write code
would far rather *write code* than try to sort through duplicate bug
entries. While it's likely there still would be dupes with a screening
process, the incidence should be reduced.

There is already some sort of screening/triaging happening, but I don't
know the process nor the people ionvolved. Can anyone from SUSE or
Novell help? My reports are frequently forwarded/rerouted/assigned by
someone called Kun Kun Zhang.

I think where we start with this is, as you've said here, to identify
what the current processes is. Any process improvement project typically
involves discovery of what's currently happening.

So I'd second your RFI here.

4. It would be extremely useful, I think - especially for the
non-techie audience - to put some specific training together on things
like (a) how to submit a bug and include the relevant information, (b)
what to expect with your bug and how to monitor progress, (c) how to
provide additional information when requested (and what to do if you've
upgraded/moved to another version/changed distributions/decided to go
back to Windows/MacOS/ whatever) so the bug can continue to be
evaluated by those evaluating it.

We have got to have something like this already - it's not exactly new
stuff. Maybe in the support data base?

It isn't new stuff, but I wonder if it is out there. Anyone know?

Jim

--
Jim Henderson