Re: [opensuse-project] Re: Introducing the Freight Train
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 08:35:26 +0200
Klaas Freitag wrote:

On 15.05.2012 21:21, Bryen M Yunashko wrote:
But point is, we do need to all collectively adopt an attitude of
welcoming and mentoring/guiding.

That might be true. OTOH, even with mentoring, stuff is complicated
and hard to get on speed with. You often have to work hard to find
something out, improve it, become an expert on. Thats exhausting. Why
would you do that? Because you personally want it or because people
say "wow - how cool, thanks!". I think that is the main motivator. And
I think we don't do that often enough.

Praise is an important management tool, but it has to be sincere, and
that is difficult to bring across in email. It also works best coming
from a superior. Praise from ones peers is a lot less effective.

Nonetheless, you've got a good question here - what is the main
motivator for people to take part?

I tell you from my personal experience as the author of Hermes: The
number of people saying something positive about Hermes to me is a
little of fraction of the number of people ranting nonsense. And -
interestingly enough - the less clue people have the more they rant.

And how many people actually did something useful to Hermes for
example instead of just talking? You don't want to know... How
motivating is that?

Personally speaking, one word of praise easily outweighs any negative
ranting.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (6.9°C)