Re: [opensuse-project] Improving the bug management lifecycle/process
  • From: Bryen M Yunashko <suserocks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 22:28:32 -0500
On Wed, 2012-05-16 at 03:04 +0000, Jim Henderson wrote:
OK, so this is something I'd like to start trying to get my arms around
so we can have a more comprehensive approach to dealing with bug reports
and increase the rate of resolution as well as the follow-up rate when
additional information is needed.

It seems that we have a few areas that we should be looking at:

2. There needs to be more of a "human" reply, especially on older bugs,
that are being addressed. Looking at the current Bugzilla stats, I see
that (for example) 12.1 has 183 bugs in a "NEEDINFO" state - there needs
to be some sort of consistent follow-up to ensure that the info needed to
fix the issues is provided, and if it isn't and the information can't be
obtained (because the issue cannot be duped, those looking at it don't
have the necessary hardware, etc), then the bug needs to be closed.

I think response times play a factor here. Obviously, a lot of people
probably expect that as soon as they file a bug, someone is looking at
it and responding to it. But that's not always the case, mainly because
of limited manpower and prioritization. It can be demotivating to a bug
filer to get a NEEDINFO response quite some time later and not feel they
care about the bug anymore because they've found an alternative solution
or whatever.

I also think something similar to this should be done for FATE, but
that's perhaps a topic for another day. :)

It may be more prudent to first talk about the tool itself. There's
been talk from time to time by people wanting to see FATE and Bugzilla
functionality merged because its too confusing going to two different
places and not clear to some people the distinction between the two
tools.

Bryen

Jim
--