[opensuse-project] Re: bugs that are against 11.1
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 02:45:17 +0000 (UTC)
On Wed, 16 May 2012 09:29:24 +1000, Helen South wrote:

Yes and no. For some users, they just want to 'do the right thing' and
submit a bug, not have it turn into an ongoing issue.

Right, but often times more is required than that. It's like the bug
I've opened against Cyanogenmod 7.2 RC2 - I need to get a logcat file to
them, but I wanted to know what specifically they wanted in the log (so
it would be useful) - reporting the bug does imply some responsibility to
provide additional information if it's needed to get it addressed.

A bug reporter can't file a report that effectively says "my thing's
broke" and expect to never hear back on it but for it to be fixed. That
falls into "user education".

And because of the nature of the userbase of openSUSE, we have users who
don't have the technical background to write a comprehensive report that
tells people who write code enough information. They may think they've
provided the right info, but just like the aforementioned CM7.2RC1 bug,
if I just sent a logcat output that had nothing useful in it because I
captured it at the wrong time, I'd expect to hear back from them asking
for more information - and if I didn't provide it, then shame on me for
not giving them the right information so when 7.2 comes out the bug I
found was fixed.

The non-technical explanation is important; some users won't know about
the kernel series and a 'WONTFIX' comes across as disinterest. "Thanks
so much for reporting this bug. It hasn't been resolved in 11.x, but we
hope that it may have been fixed in the process of developing 12.x If
you find this again when you upgrade to 12.x, please file a new bug."
.... something like that.

Put a human face on it.

Yes, absolutely - and I think it's easy to forget that our user community
consists of people both from a technical background and also from people
who have zero technical skills. That's not a bad thing, but it needs to
be recognized and those individuals do need a little more handholding if
we are going to want them to submit bugs when they run into trouble.

Jim

--
Jim Henderson