[opensuse-project] Re: Introducing the Freight Train
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 20:37:37 +0000 (UTC)
On Tue, 15 May 2012 21:45:22 +0200, Klaas Freitag wrote:

On 15.05.2012 21:21, Bryen M Yunashko wrote:
Hey,

RedHat did well by naming their community project "Fedora" - the name
is different enough that there's no ambiguity for those who are new to
RedHat. That was a smart move.
Yes. The good lord did a smart move creating the world ;-) Guys, you
have topics here again... Do you think that moves the project forward?

Fair enough, it's easy to wander in conversation. But in terms of "the
point", it's not enough to say SUSE and openSUSE are different, because
the naming gets in the way of that explanation. So we need to be clear
on this point - and saying that openSUSE is upstream to SLE is a huge
step in the right direction. We need to shout it from the rooftops.

But enough on that subject. :)

But point is, we do need to all collectively adopt an attitude of
welcoming and mentoring/guiding.
That might be true. OTOH, even with mentoring, stuff is complicated and
hard to get on speed with. You often have to work hard to find something
out, improve it, become an expert on. Thats exhausting. Why would you do
that? Because you personally want it or because people say "wow - how
cool, thanks!". I think that is the main motivator. And I think we don't
do that often enough.

I tell you from my personal experience as the author of Hermes: The
number of people saying something positive about Hermes to me is a
little of fraction of the number of people ranting nonsense. And -
interestingly enough - the less clue people have the more they rant.

And how many people actually did something useful to Hermes for example
instead of just talking? You don't want to know... How motivating is
that?

That is different in other communities, and I think that has to change:
More trust and a more positive attitude for stuff others do.

Yes, agreed. Getting positive feedback in general can be very difficult
- I've always said when it comes to support forums that their purpose
isn't for people to say "everything's excellent, outstanding, and working
just fine", and it's important to keep that in mind.

But it's also important for users to take the time to tell those who do
the work that things are well. Many in this project aren't in it for the
money (ie, it's not their paid job) but because they love being a part of
it. Recognition of their effort is a motivator, and is something that we
could - as a project - probably do better at.

Jim

--
Jim Henderson