Re: [opensuse-project] Re: Introducing the Freight Train
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 20:21:21 +0200
Bryen M Yunashko wrote:

On Tue, 2012-05-15 at 18:38 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:
Hmm, yes and no - there are presumably still many users out there for
whom openSUSE is just a tool. If it doesn't work, they'll get
another one. Complaining is also feedback, and it's a lot better
than people just voting with their feet.

That's apples and oranges in my opinion. There's a big difference
between a user who uses and simply is dissatisfied and goes somewhere
else. That's "our fault" so to speak if we didn't create something
that the end user is happy with. I say that, of course, to only some
extent because we are obviously not in the business of appeasing every
user out there.

What we're talking about here is how the complaint (or yelling) is
conveyed. "I can't believe this doesn't work! Don't you people ever
test anything?!? SUSE pays all these people and it is broken?!?" That
kind of complaint is not useful because the expectation they have for
openSUSE is unrealistic.

They are venting their frustration - they chose openSUSE, but didn't get
the quality product they expected. It's a pity we can't meet those
expectations (yet), but I wouldn't just dismiss such complaints,
regardless of which misconceptions might be involved.

I have seen a number of times over the years people complain like this
and when we tell them they can be testers and help identify problems,
they have outright said "Not my job! That's SUSE's job!"

Sure. That does not render their complaints invalid though.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (12.2°C)