Re: [opensuse-project] Re: Introducing the Freight Train
Hey,

On 05/15/2012 01:45 PM, jdd wrote:
Le 15/05/2012 13:07, Henne Vogelsang a écrit :

something needs to be done it doesn't happen. The only way things happen
is if you make them happen yourself. Just do it!

sure, but this is a two step problem: we have to teach voluteers how
to do this.

Then volunteer your work for that first. It always boils down to the
same thing, do something with all the possibilities this project gives
you. There isn't someone who will come and make your bed. Hell you have
to go out into the Forrest, lumber the tree, cut planks out of the logs,
mine and melt your metal for the nails and engineer your own bed here!

To often I hear someone say "we" when in reality they mean "they". It's
always "they" who have to do, teach and organize things. There is always
some reason why "they" have to do something first before "I" can
volunteer. But "they" are nonexistent, people.

I follow the bugzilla mailing list, I know how much work is done
there, but I could give very little help, for example not knowing who
is in charge of each kind of problem.

Either you can never know (because this is not your thing, this is too
complicated for you, this is impossible to do in general yadda yadda
yadaa) OR you can try to figure it out. Sit your butt down and read
through the OBS documentation how to figure out maintainers, try to
assign bugs to the right people, make mistakes and learn from them, ask
people you think are knowledgeable for help etc.

In the end you either succeed and fixed the problem or you admit defeat,
have learned a valuable lesson and start over with the next task.

Not to raise the bugzilla problem itself (work an other thread), but
than there is an enormous gap between ordinary user and you, for
example, in matter of infrastructure knowledge.

we need some sort of "masterclass", may be the Freight train could
help is this respect :-))

How do you think I learned about our infrastructure? How do you think I
keep up with changes in our infrastructure? I constantly pick up tasks
where I have no idea how to do them. Then I sit down and figure out how
to do them. I try things, read things, I nag my peers about help, I get
on peoples nerves about details and I make lots of mistakes. In short: I
do something about it.

That's what I'm trying to tell you. You have to take your contribution
into your own hands, you can't rely on someone else to teach or do
something for you. Do it yourself.

Henne

--
Henne Vogelsang, openSUSE