Re: [opensuse-project] Introducing the Freight Train
  • From: Guido Berhoerster <gber@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 11:08:00 +0200
* Bryen M Yunashko <suserocks@xxxxxxxxx> [2012-05-07 18:47]:
On Mon, 2012-05-07 at 17:07 +0200, Guido Berhoerster wrote:
I doubt that this has much practical significance due to the
personnel overlap. The overwhelming majority of development work
on the core distribution is already done by community members
employed by SUSE, so this whole upstream - downstream distinction
is more of a theoretical nature.

[*] e.g. ~80% of all changes to all Factory packages in 2010 and
2011 are authored by SUSE employees
--
Guido Berhoerster

That's probably true statistically and probably will stay that way for
some time. But I have witnessed many times over the years someone
complaining about $something and when we tell them to contribute to a
fix (knowing fully well that person has the capabilities) the person
would respond with "that's SUSE's job, not the community's!"

You and I both know that openSUSE is not "SUSE's job" but everyone's job
in the community. And openSUSE is billed as a "community-driven
project." As long as we kept saying basis over the years, it was hard
to convey and dispell such myths.

True, there seems to be a huge socket of people with just a handful of
changes per year who probably maintain just a few packages or
contribute a fix here and there. Due to OBS the hurdles to get
involved or even to only make a drive-by contribution are
probably lower than in any other major distro.
Involvement of non-SUSE people is indeed only limited by the time
they are able to invest, what I was pointing out is that the
majority of work on the core distribution is still done by
employees of the company that produces SLE.

With a simple word change "upstream" coupled by legitimate actions to
demonstrate it, over time hopefully that attitude and perception will
change. I believe the word change marks a significant step and not
simply semantics, and I think what AJ and team are attempting to do also
marks a significant step. Perhaps a year or two from now that 80%
statistic will change. Not by decreasing SUSE contributions, but by
increasing community contributions.

We can only hope and strive for that.

Fully agree since more diversity among contributors implies less
dependence on the commercial success of its biggest sponsor.
--
Guido Berhoerster