Re: [opensuse-project] download.opensuse.org IPV6 address breaks updates
On 2012/05/07 18:49 (GMT+0200) Carlos E. R. composed:

Larry Finger wrote:

If you modify /etc/resolv.conf and add public name servers that
support IPv6, you will bypass any problems such as you describe. I use
Google's name servers at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

Why is that?

If using IPv6 servers breaks my setup because I have no IPv6 internet,
how setting a nameserver that gives me IPv6 addresses can help me?

What I need is *no* IPv6 name resolving.

Maybe doing what I do will satisfy you:

#cat /proc/cmdline
... ipv4only=1 ...

I have no idea whether that's a SUSE-only option.

When I don't forget, I also strip all ipv6 lines from /etc/hosts.

Other than seeing "...eth0: no IPv6 routers present" during boot and in the menu.lst entries, I rarely see evidence of existence of IPv6.

Maybe setting network.dns.disableIPv6 = true in Firefox would be worth a try. Also check that network.http.fast-fallback-to-IPv4 isn't false.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/