[opensuse-project] Re: When is a mirror not a mirror?
On Wed, 02 May 2012 21:48:25 +1000
Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

My ISP is iinet.net.au - and has been for some years now.

iinet.net.au is listed as one of the mirrors for openSUSE files and
is listed as able to provide all updates for the openSUSE distro.

With the oS servers out of action (but now are about to come back
online as per Stefan's post) I have been trying to upgrade KDE to
4.8.2 over the past couple of days but the widehate server has been
rejecting my (and others) attempts to access it to do this upgrade.

So I looked up the list of mirrors and found that my ISP is listed as
being a source for my upgrade of KDE - which is very nice because
downloading from iinet.net.au costs me nothing as I am it's customer
and can downloading from what iinet call its "Freezone".

The only problem is is that iinet is not a true mirror for openSUSE.
I had to go to a Belgian site to be able to upgrade to KDE 4.8.2 on
my new installation.

I have written to iinet on several occasions in the past telling
them/complaining to them that their file directories are NOT
up-to-date nor do they contain all the files - and always received
the response that "the information has been passed on to the
[engineers] for action". Well, nothing has been done now for, what?,
3 years.

May I therefore make a request to whoever maintains the list of
mirrors handling the openSUSE distribution that s/he either writes to
iinet,net.au and gets them to action this deficiency or removes
iinet.net.au from the list of mirrors.

BC
Hi
Not all mirrors carry All the repositories, if you look at the list
here it explains which mirror carries what repositories;

http://mirrors.opensuse.org/

openSUSE 12.1
openSUSE 11.4
openSUSE Build Service
openSUSE Factory
All products (large table)

Maybe you should ask your ISP to add the repo's you commonly use?

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 12.1 (x86_64) Kernel 3.1.10-1.9-desktop