Re: [opensuse-project] Re: [opensuse-factory] Religious and political views in packages
  • From: Sascha Peilicke <saschpe@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2011 13:06:06 +0200
On Friday 09 September 2011 12:54:23 Graham Anderson wrote:
On Friday 09 Sep 2011 12:29:32 Lars Müller wrote:
Maybe best if one of our English native speakers commnets on this.

I'm an atheist and native English speaker, so I'll chip in on this. Here is
the full text of the %description from the Sword package, none of which
offends me in the slightest. Why would it? ;)

The SWORD Project is an effort to create an ever expanding software
package for research and study of God and His Word.

The SWORD Bible Framework allows easy manipulation of Bible texts,
commentaries, lexicons, dictionaries, etc. Many frontends are build
using this framework. An installed module set may be shared between any
frontend using the framework.

This is really fairly innocuous text, there is no proselytising or
preaching, it's simple an accurate (so far as I can tell) description of
what the package is for/does. I find the name of the software project
"Sword" mildly amusing but that's neither here nor there, and is just a
personal frivolity.
As I said, I'm also atheist but not offended in the slighest way by the
description or the package name. However, I was just thinking that this may be
an issue for some, thus the question.

I think it's pretty important that openSUSE, as an _open_ project, strives
to ensure people of all faiths, and also anyone from racial, cultural and
sexual preference minorities feel comfortable and happy that they can
leverage and use our tools. Free software that is beneficial and enriching
to their faith, culture, community or lifestyle should be welcomed.
True, but for some this may imply 'everything goes', for others this may be
'avoid questionable content'. I'd say the truth lies somewhere in between, so
we have to come up with some rules 'bout what's enriching and what may not be.

I don't think it's reasonable to use any of the openSUSE infrastructure or
tools to overtly campaign, push, promote or publicise any specific agenda
other than the openSUSE projects goals and guiding principles.
I think everybody can agree with that.

I don't see
any evidence of this in the Sword package, so there's is no issue to
discuss that I can see.
Even if you may not see that in the sword package, it doesn't hurt to clarify
the general picture IMO. As Ciarran posted, Fedora seems to forbid religious
text, I believe Ubuntu does so too (therefore the Christian edition), so there
is an issue to discuss here.
--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Sascha Peilicke