[opensuse-project] Re: Balsam Professional & Balsam Enterprise
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 19:50:22 +0000 (UTC)
On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 04:22:27 +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:

On Thursday, 2011-04-28 at 17:14 -0000, Jim Henderson wrote:

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 11:22:52 +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:

Someone commented a similar case in one of the mail lists. He got no
answer. I don't mean he got "no", he got no answer.

I'm not aware of that situation; and I'm sure if the SUSE folks on this
ML had been aware of it, they might've been able to help.

It was someone in South/Central America, and he wrote in Spanish to us
in the Spanish list.

OK, I'll take your word for it. Perhaps we need a better connection to
that mailing list. It seems that someone who subscribes to that list and
this one might've said something instead of holding it up as an example
for why the default eval period isn't long enough. That doesn't really
help the customer.

If it's recent, you know there are people on this list who work for SUSE,
so maybe even send the info to one of those individuals to follow up on.

That's part of what being a community is about - helping each other out.

But really, honestly, do you think 60 days (or 90 days, or 120 days, or
whatever the eval period is) is really too short to do a proper
evaluation? How long is a long enough eval period? A year? Two
years? At some point the line has to be drawn, and if someone needs
more time, they need to ask for it - and if they don't get an answer,
then they need to raise the issue with someone who can address it.

I understand that, and it is not my case. My case would that of one
trying to get to know that side, just in case some one would want to
hire me, not in order to use sles myself. I, hypothetically, would need
to keep a continuous contact, now and then, to see how it feels. For
that reason I can not commit to try it for just 30 days, I have to
reserve that for a real chance, because I can only try it once in a
lifetime, as far as I understand.

Well, like I said, that's not actually the case. It's entirely possible
to get more than one eval if necessary.

The thing is, one can search and search and search for the odd situation
when someone wasn't able to find the right person. Those unusual
conditions and circumstances don't drive how an eval program is set up.
The *typical* situation is what's used to set up a program like that.

So rather than looking for the really way-out-there-one-in-a-million
chance that someone cannot complete a reasonable evaluation in the
allotted time, consider that probably 99% of the people who *do* an eval
are able to do it. Then consider that the 1% that can't be dealt with
with the normal program can *generally* get an exception made that meets
their needs, this really becomes a non-issue.

Jim

--
Jim Henderson