Re: [opensuse-project] Re: Balsam Professional & Balsam Enterprise
  • From: Alberto Passalacqua <albert.passalacqua@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 01:15:31 -0500
Hi,

2011/4/27 Koushik Kumar Nundy <kknundy@xxxxxxxxx>:

And it seems largely at
the expenses of the openSUSE project, which does most of the job
without getting anything back. Someone claims openSLX contributes to
openSUSE, but how? Splitting the community with the creation of their
support site and redirecting users there?

Whatever the intentions of openSLX,

I am not saying they cannot do what they are doing. I am saying that
is quite a stretch to claim that they are significantly contributing
to openSUSE, at least in my pocket (and not only mine from what I
hear).

Taking advantage of two
projects from Novell without benefits for our community?

AFAIK, openSUSE is not a Novell product. SUSE Studio is, and if I
understand correctly, it's very purpose is to make creating openSUSE
based distrolets, so I see no "exploitation" or "taking advantage"
here.

openSUSE has always been a project largely developed by Novell
employees. We can try to hide this, but it is Novell / SUSE that has
been constantly keeping the project going. Many do not like to admit
this, but it is they simple truth.

It is "taking advantage" when there is nothing coming back. Always in
my pocket :-)

Not having a position on that does not seem a good idea to me,
especially when the position was very clear when the internal
community to the openSUSE project tried to do something similar.

If Balsam, or anyone else, is a rebranded openSUSE clone, the only way
we can stop contributing to them is if we stop contributing to
openSUSE. Hardly a happy option. If anyone is an SLE clone, we, the
openSUSE project, can do nothing about it, simply because it is not
our product.

I was clearly not suggesting anybody to stop contributing to openSUSE.
However Novell/SUSE wasted an opportunity of managing such clone
inside the community, under its control, which would have pleased who
actually has been contributing in various ways for years. And now it
is totally powerless with respect to a clone not under its control.

It frankly seems that community members have to pay a price others do
not have to pay, and it comes natural to ask what is the advantage of
contributing to a project that works this way.

See above.

Best,
A.